This is our introductory buying guide for tow vehicle and trailer options series. These articles will begin with the thinking and planning stages. Below are the questions we will answer.
- What is your budget for transport or trailer needs?
- What tow vehicle do you currently have?
- What is the capacity of your vehicle?
- Will you add a trailer to your tow vehicle?
- What is the capacity of your trailer?
- Do you have a place to store your trailer or tow vehicle?
- How much equipment do you need to transport?
- Will you need to work out of the trailer, use it for storage, or simply move equipment from point A to point B?
- What type of insurance will I need for trailer?
These articles will be living documents and will change as we update each section. This post will act as our table of contents for buying, using, purchasing, and more, a trailer or tow vehicle.
My Disclaimer. This guide and website is designed to give you basic information. It is your responsibility to further research your driving, vehicle, and towing needs per your specific uses and application. For starters, your vehicle owners manual is a good resource for towing information, plus specifics for your vehicle.
Any reference to weights or ratings in this article as an example could be from a sample vehicle. These numbers or measurements are only to act as a guide to help you determine your ratings or specifications.
One reason we are putting these articles together is to avoid expensive mistakes and accidents that many have made over the years by overloading their tow vehicles, trailers, or equipment. Every year, I personally hear of at least two racing teams who lose their vehicles, trailers, and/or equipment in towing accidents. Help spread the word to minimize bad towing habits.
Keep in mind that I am using a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 with a gas 6.0 engine. Always consult your owners manual for your vehicles specific requirements. Where math is required, I will show the formula as well.
If you would like to see some expansions on these articles, please send us a quick note.